International Student

I’m a current international student outside of the U.S. Do I have to return to keep my F-1 visa? What if I cannot return? Can I take online courses?

Updated June 16, 2021

Students who left the U.S. and plan to maintain their F-1 student visa status in the fall should plan to be in residence in Atlanta.

F-1 students unable to return to the U.S. within 30 days of the start of the term need to submit an iStart Intent to Depart e-form to notify OIE of their fall plans to remain outside the U.S. OIE will then review current guidance from SEVP to determine if the student’s SEVIS record can remain Active or will need to be terminated for Authorized Early Withdrawal.

  • The student may still elect to enroll in online or remote courses as no visa or Active SEVIS record is required for the purpose of online enrollment while outside the U.S. The opportunity for remote course options will depend on the availability of courses from a particular academic program and restrictions on Office of Foreign Assets Control-sanctioned countries. Students who plan to engage in online learning physically from any of the following countries need to first gain approval from the Office of General Counsel ( Cuba, Crimea Region of Ukraine, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
  • If the student is not maintaining an Active SEVIS record, the student will not be automatically enrolled in health insurance coverage or assessed the international student fee for the semester. Nor will the student be required to enroll in a minimum number of credits to maintain their visa status.
  • If not approved by SEVP for the SEVIS record reactivation, the student will receive a new SEVIS record, a new I-20 form, and will be required to re-pay the I-901 fee. If the student still holds a valid F-1 visa, the student will not need to apply for a new visa. If the student’s F-1 visa is expired, they will need to apply for a new F-1 visa with the new SEVIS record before attempting to re-enter the U.S.
  • Additionally, in the scenario where a SEVIS record cannot be reactivated, the F-1 student visa holder’s academic time toward the one-year practical training clock will begin again upon re-entry to the U.S. The student will become eligible for practical training after 30 weeks of full-time instruction inside the U.S.


What are the current cleaning and disinfecting protocols?

Updated August 31, 2021

Hand sanitizer stands are stationed at every building entrance as well as in restrooms and classrooms. Disinfectant and wipes will continue to be made available in classrooms and for workspaces.

  • Common areas will be cleaned and disinfected daily by Custodial Services.
  • Restrooms and elevators will be cleaned and disinfected once a day. However, heavily used restrooms located in buildings that operate 24 hours a day (such as Clough Undergraduate Learning Commons) will continue to be cleaned and disinfected four times a day.
  • Fogging is performed nightly between 10:55 p.m. and 6:55 a.m. in Clough Commons, the Campus Recreation Center, and the R. Kirk Landon Learning Center.

Cleaning of labs will continue to be performed regularly by research personnel who have been trained in proper cleaning methods.

  • If an employee is diagnosed with or tests positive for Covid-19, areas occupied by the affected employee will be closed as long as is feasible. Custodial Services will clean and disinfect all areas used by the Covid-19-positive person.
  • Environmental Health and Safety will continue to issue disinfectant, tissues, dry wipes, and hand sanitizer for common spaces and individual offices.

Detailed cleaning procedures are posted on the Facilities Management website.


What’s the plan for Georgia Tech-Lorraine and Georgia Tech-Shenzhen?

Updated June 16, 2021

For study abroad and other international programs, Georgia Tech continues to follow guidance from the CDC, the USG, and the U.S. Department of State. 

We will welcome students to our Georgia Tech-Lorraine and Georgia Tech-Shenzhen campuses for Fall 2021 and are implementing plans to minimize health risks and ensure academic continuity in the event programs are disrupted during the semester. 

For more information about study abroad and other international programs, contact the Office of International Education


Can I get help with online registration and academic advising?

Advisors are meeting with students virtually. Advisors also are creating online resources for students and posting those resources in Canvas. Incoming students will meet with an advisor during your virtual FASET. For current students, Find Your Advisor.


I will be taking classes remotely overseas. Do I need permission to register for a class that is listed as residential? Can I register for a synchronous remote class?

Updated June 16, 2021

If you will not be able to attend regularly scheduled classes in Atlanta, you are encouraged to review the schedule of classes for online class options. There will be a very limited number of online sections for select courses.

If the courses you need for your degree program are not available remotely, you are encouraged to contact your advisor to revise your degree plan.

Students can access course mode designations in OSCAR. Course mode definitions are available on the Registrar’s website.


Will Georgia Tech provide on-campus residents with face coverings and any other supplies?

Updated August 19, 2021

Similar to recent semesters, Housing and Residence Life is working with campus partners to provide personal protective equipment (PPE) kits to students living on campus this fall. Each resident will receive a cloth face covering, hand sanitizer, and other various supplies in their room upon check-in.

Additional PPE requests for students, faculty, or staff can be made through this online form.


I have been approved by the Office of Disability Services (ODS) for an accommodation. What are the next steps that I should take in the process?

Updated June 16, 2021

Please ensure that you have followed ODS procedure to notify your faculty of your accommodation needs, and then follow up directly with each professor to discuss them.

If the faculty member feels that an accommodation request results in a fundamental alteration of a stated learning outcome of the course, contact ODS to discuss next steps.

ODS, academic advisors, and the school offering the course will work with you to find a suitable alternative that, as far as possible, preserves your progress toward graduation.  



Subscribe to RSS - International Student